Header ImageHeader ImageHeader ImageHeader ImageHeader Image

How to Get Licensed

In order to obtain a State of Alabama Home Builders License, one must:

1.      Either:

a.   Obtain an application package by sending a written request along with a check or money order for $25 to Home Builders Licensure Board.  Be sure to state whether you are requesting an unlimited license application or a limited license application package. Complete the appropriate application form and return the notarized application with a check or money order made payable to the Home Builders Licensure Board .

The package contains a copy of the law and the rules and regulations governing the Alabama Home Builders Licensure Board. The Board is authorized to license and regulate the residential construction and remodeling industries in the state, under the authority of Title 34, Section 14A, of the Code of Alabama.

Please review the “Instructions” page of the application package.


b.   To download a printable copy of the new license application package, click below for the appropriate application package:

Unlimited License Application Package

Limited License Application Package

The form must then be completed, signed, notarized and returned with a check or money order made payable to the Home Builders Licensure Board in the amount of $350.00 ($250 license fee and $100 new license application processing fee).

2.      In order to receive an Unlimited License,take and pass the Alabama Home Builders Exam. No authorization is required to take the exam.

In order to better serve the needs of each candidate, the Board offers nine testing facilities: Auburn, Birmingham (2), Enterprise, Huntsville, Mobile, Montgomery,Sheffield and Tuscaloosa.

NEW TESTING INFORMATION (click to view pdf file)

Additional testing information and registration is available at http://provexam.com/

3.      Request that a current credit report on the individual or business who is making application be sent to the
         Board directly from a credit-reporting agency.

(The above link is provided as a service by the Home Builders Licensure Board.  Endorsement of any particular credit reporting agency is not implied.)

4.      If applying as a corporation, limited liability company or limited partnership,

a.      Provide a Certificate of Good Standing from the Alabama Department of Revenue.

b.      Provide a copy of the Articles of Incorporation, the Articles of Organization, or the partnership
   agreement as applicable.

c.      Additionally, if applying as a corporation, provide a listing of officers.



5.      If applying as a foreign (out-of-state) corporation, limited liability company or limited partnership, also
         provide a Certificate of Existence from the
Alabama Secretary of State.